Saturday, September 05, 2009

For a couple of years or so, the bookshelf above my monitor has had an A5 envelope poked between the paperbacks, containing various items of correspondence. The content is nothing stunning or revelatory, but they're things I'd like to keep safe all the same. With this in mind, I've been eyeing them up for ages thinking "Must put that envelope away somewhere". So I did, and now I can't find it. It's not too much of a worry, as I know that the moment I stop looking for it, it'll turn up. That happened last week with a tape recorder manual. Shortly after locating a PDF on the Internet, I found my yellowing hard copy. If I weren't so dismissive of such things, I'd blame a playful spirit.

4 comments:

JM said...

I can't be the only person faintly amused that you needed the manual for a tape recorder. Was the ambiguous labelling of the "rewind" button somehow a little too confusing?

Anonymous said...

I have done the same with my birth certificate, of all things, which I decided to put somewhere safe and secure. It seemed like a good idea at the time but for the life in me, I cannot now find where I put it. I keep expecting to find it at some point but after two years I have yet to see it.

Louis Barfe said...

Don't be a smart-arse, James. I couldn't remember whether I needed to select 'low noise' or 'wide range'. And in any case, it was part of a concerted effort to finish digitising your father's reels, only 9 years after he entrusted them to me.

Unknown said...

The mark an intelligent man is someone who knows what they don't know.

I'd much rather entrust my tapes to someone who knows when they need a manual than someone who doesn't...