Saturday, November 15, 2008

The estimable Paul Barnes has been kind enough to ask me on his Saturday evening Gold for Grown-Ups radio show across the BBC Eastern Counties stations tonight, to talk about light entertainment, jazz and other enriching matters. I've been a listener to his show since living in east London nearly a decade ago, when getting any sort of BBC Essex signal involved standing in a zinc bucket with the wireless strapped to my head. Now, of course, the show's available globally on the Internest at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/norfolk.shtml. He and I are both Oldie contributors, and we've been exchanging emails and telephone calls about our many shared enthusiasms and the state of the nation for a while now, but we've never actually met. I'll be around from 6.20pm onwards.

2 comments:

Clair said...

Ah, Paul Barnes! A right proper grown-up presenter! I remember him as being 'my kinda presenter' when I lived in the Anglia region, and it's been lovely to hear him again. Sounds like the pair of you had Big Fun.

Apres la Guerre said...

Big Fun? So which one got spitroasted? (I assume you refer to the three Pretty Boys who used to appear on Wacaday to mime to their latest "hit" circa 1989?)

Didn't hear the programme. I was out doing birthdayey things with the wife. By the time I got your answerphone message (which sounded less clear than a Dan Leno cylinder), it had been and gone. Subsequent delay in leaving this message caused by work.