Monday, April 28, 2008

Occasionally, I hear something on television or radio and wonder to myself "Did that person really say what I think they just said?". So it is with a clip from GMTV the morning after the 2005 general election. Like the proper anorak that I am, I recorded both the BBC1 and ITV coverage - 2 VCRs, 2 long play E240s, job done. While transferring all 16 hours of actuality to DVD the other day, I chanced upon John Stapleton calling Tony Blair "Mr Blower" and then tripping over the name of a gay Labour MP who had lost his seat (please, no, stop it). After 5 replays, I'm convinced that Stapleton really does say what I think he says. Watch the clip, wait until 1:40 and see what you think. Must have been a long night chez Stapleton.

5 comments:

Shaun said...

Ha ha, glorious, glorious stuff.

'Blower' is easily explained away by his casting forward ready to say 'bloody' nose. But the second is a copper-bottomed Freudian slit (when you mean to say long thing but you say a mother).

You're not really apologising for recording that, are you? How I wish I'd recorded ITN's lunchtime news on the day of Nelson Mandela's first visit to Britain as President of a free South Africa. A joyful crowd had gathered outside South Africa House and the host - John Suchet, I think - was entering into the spirit of the day, handing over to the OB with, "It looks like the party's already started down there".

"Yes, John, in spades".

Louis Barfe said...

Do I seem apologetic? God no, I'm proud of it. And Jesus, that Suchet moment sounds fab. Of course, without a tape, everyone thinks you're making it up.

Adam Macqueen said...

"I'm so sorry, of course I mean Stephen Greatfatmincingchutneyferret"...

Sylva said...

how delicious!

Phil Norman said...

That's lovely! And is it me, or has his accent gone a few notches up the 'regional' ladder since his The Time, The Place heyday?