Friday, February 29, 2008

The stories of cruelty and abuse emerging from investigations at the former Haut de la Garenne children's home in Jersey are terrible and harrowing, so I feel dreadful pangs of guilt when I have to stifle a laugh every time a report is broadcast. What's so funny? Well, the police chief in charge of the excavations is called Lenny Harper. Every time his name is mentioned, I expect a pipe-cleaner thin Scottish woman with spiky hair to pop up and greet the newsreader back in the studio as 'Noel'.

2 comments:

Adam Macqueen said...

And I thought it was just me who was having visions of going to hell whenever I saw the graphics demonstrating where exactly on the island the children's home was, and the Bergerac theme tune rang through my head...

Seriously, they've got to recall him from Midsomer to answer some pretty hard questions soon, haven't they?

Louis Barfe said...

We must be careful what we joke about, Adam:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/7278828.stm